Meet Magnum Athlete and WBFF Pro Coryn Martin. Coryn is super strong and sexy and has a heart of gold. Find out how her vibrant personality and strong faith keeps her well grounded in the fitness community.
- Hometown: Long Island, New York
- Current Location: Long Island, New York
- Height: 5’5 ½“
- Off-Season Weight: 131lbs
- Competition Weight: 118lbs
- Age: 29
- Favorite Style of Cardio: HIIT full body conditioning and I have a love/hate relationship with the Stairmaster!
- Favorite Nail Polish: Russian Navy by OPI
- Currently Reading or Favorite Book: My best friend and I have our own little book club. We read 1-2 books a months. Our current book is “Rogue Lawyer” by John Grisham.
For those unfamiliar with you, can you tell us a bit about your background and how you got involved in the fitness industry?
Growing up, I was an athlete and a true tomboy! I played basketball year round, I ran track, played field hockey and even ice hockey with all boys! When I graduated from college after my athletic career had ended in 2008, I got serious about weight training. I always admired fitness competitors that I had read about in fitness magazines, and I was amazed at their beauty and strength, as well as the courage and confidence that they portrayed on the stage. At that time, I had dreams of competing, but I had no idea how or where to begin, or even if I would ever be able to achieve it.
I became connected to the right group of people that gave me the guidance I needed to make it happen and step on the stage with the WBFF, and I immediately became hooked! I NEVER would of have imagined in my wildest dreams that I would become a WBFF Pro within one year of competing!
What were your biggest challenges when you first started training?
The biggest challenge I had when I first started training was overcoming a poor diet. Throughout college, I would eat fast food and snack on junk food frequently. Those bad eating habits continued as I began training and basically negated all of my hard work in the gym. Once I educated myself and changed up my lifestyle, I began to notice improvements with my body, strength, health, and energy levels.
How long have you worked at Hitch Fit, and what do enjoy most about working there?
I have been with Hitch Fit for 4 years as an athlete, affiliate, and an ambassador. I love having Diana as my coach because she provides me with guidance during my off season and while prepping. She has not only helped me to make physical improvements, but emotional, mental, and spiritual ones as well. I love the friendships that I have made in my four years being part of Hitch Fit.
How did you become involved with Magnum Nutraceuticals? And what do you love most about the company?
I joined the Magnum Team in May 2015 after Magnum President, Markus Kaulius had noticed my social media through my Hitch Fit coaches Diana and Micah LaCerte. After speaking with Markus, I knew right away that Magnum was a brand and company that I would be very proud and honored to represent. I love that Magnum is a real and honest company, full of incredible athletes that motivate me every day.
I love using Magnum’s products because they are high quality and taste amazing!
What Magnum products are you currently using?
Coryn’s Current Magnum Stack
I fill my gallon of water with Hi5 Blue Raspberry and drink it throughout the day. I also love the Quattro Chocolate Peanut butter. I often mix it with oatmeal to make a protein pancake as a post workout meal. As I begin to prep for my next competition, I will include Heat Accelerated and E-Brake to help burn fat while maintaining lean muscle.
What does your current training look like?
Currently, I’m still in my off season. I often like to change things up, so my body doesn’t get used to doing the same thing constantly. Since I last competed, I have been giving my hamstrings and shoulders lots of extra attention to make improvements before stepping back on stage. Three to four times a week, I attend a full body conditioning workout from 5-6am. These high intensity interval training workouts help to keep my heart rate up by constantly moving with a combination of weights, plyometrics, and body weight exercises with bursts of cardio. The cardio includes sprints, pushing sleds, jumping rope, etc. Later in the day, I head back to the gym to weight train. I also like to hit each body part 1-2x a week, especially my legs and glutes. I train my legs and glutes 2x a week and most weeks, I add in an additional 3rd day to train glutes.
Coryn’s Current Training Schedule
- Seated Barbell Shoulder Press 6 x 6-8
- Rear Delt Rows 6 x 6-8
- Cable Shoulder Press 6 x 8-10
- Alternating Lateral Shoulder Raises 6 x 12
- Upright Rows 6 x 6-8
- Windshield Wipers (On a stability ball using a smith machine) 5 x 15-20
- Lying Oblique Crunch 5 x 20-25
- Leg Raises 5 x 25
- Machine Crunch 5 x 15-20
- Pull Ups 4 x 12
- One Arm Cable Row (Pyramid) 5 x 6-10
- Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns 5 x 8-10
- Seated Cable Rows 5 x 10-12
- Cable Pressdowns 5 x 20
- Barbell Curls 5 x 8-10
- Preacher Curls 5 x 6-8
- Reverse Barbell Curls 5 x 10
- Hammer Curls (Alternating) 5 x 15
- Leg Extensions 6 x 15
- Leg Press 6-8 x 8-12 reps (last set drop set and 21 reps)
- Single Leg Curl 6 x 10-12
- Weighted Hip Thrusts (During workout) 200
- Bulgarian Split Squats 5 x 10-12
- Glute Blaster Machine 6 x 8-10
- Seated Calf Raises 5 x 15
- Calf Raises (Using Leg Press) 5 x 15
- Single Arm Cable Fly’s 5 x 12
- Dumbbell Bench Press 5 x 10-12
- Pec Dec Fly’s 5 x 15
- Incline Dumbbell Press 5 x 10-12
- Dips 5 x 15
- Dumbbell Kickbacks 5 x 8-10
- Cable Overhead Extensions 6 x 15
- Reverse Grip Cable Kickbacks 6 x 12
- Reverse Crunch 5 x 15
- Cable Rope Crunch 5 x 20
- Cable Rope Oblique Crunch (per side) 5 x 20
Saturday: Conditioning Workout
- Barbell Squats 8-10 sets (Pyramid) 12/10/8/6-4
- Lying Leg Curl 5-6 x 8-12
- Leg Extensions 5-6 x 8-12
- Donkey Calf Raises 5-6 x 15
- Lying Leg Press 5-6 x 10
- Seated Calf Raise 5 x 12-15
- Romanian Deadlifts 5 x 8-10
- Good Mornings 5 x 12-15
- Weighted Barbell Hip Thrusts (During workout) 200
What’s your favorite exercise and why?
I really love training legs/glutes and shoulders.
These are my favorite exercises:
- Weighted Hip Thrusts: This is one of my favorite exercises because it works all three butt muscles, gluteus maximus, gluteus medius and gluteus minimus. When done properly, you really feel your booty burn! (Laughs)
- Lateral Shoulder Raises: I love lateral raises! Lately, to really burn out my shoulders, I have been finishing every shoulder workout with 100 nonstop reps with 5 pound dumbbells.
What does your current diet look like?
When I am not prepping for a show, I continue to eat clean 85 percent of the time. My meals consist of lean protein, carbs, healthy fats, fruits, and veggies. I love egg whites, bison, oatmeal, apples and peanut butter. I could eat these foods every single day and not get tired of them. I really enjoy living a very happy, healthy, and balanced lifestyle. However, I do not deprive myself of foods I want because honestly, I love and enjoy food way too much. When I am prepping for a show, my coaches Diana Chaloux and Micah LaCerte of HitchFit.com customize a training and nutrition plan to get my body ‘show ready.’ For my last two competitions, they had me on a very well balanced meal plan right up until show day, adding more carbs each day. I am looking forward to seeing the plan they come up with as I begin prep for my next show!
Coryn’s Typical Diet
- Meal 1: ½ Cup Oatmeal, 4 Egg Whites, 1 Whole Egg and 1 TBSP Coconut Oil
- Meal 2: Protein Pancake ½ Cup Oatmeal, 1 Scoop Magnum Quattro and 3 Egg Whites or 5 Egg Whites and Homemade Sweet Potato Fries I usually have an apple, grapes, or some other kind of fruit with this meal.
- Meal 3: A healthy, delicious, gourmet meal from EliteLifestyleCuisine.com. My top 3 favorite meals from Elite Lifestyle Cuisine are Chicken and Vegetable Lasagna, Grilled Chicken with Roasted Potatoes and Asparagus and Pineapple/Apricot Broiled Cod over Wild Rice and Green Beans.
- Meal 4: 5 Ounces Chicken, Flounder, Cod, Egg Whites, Bison, or Turkey and Vegetables
- Meal 5: 5 Ounces Chicken, Flounder, Cod, Egg Whites, Bison, or Turkey, 2 Cups Vegetables and 1 TBSP Udos Oil
- Post-Workout Meal: 5 Ounces Protein, 30g Carbs For post workout carbs, I tend to go for oatmeal, sweet potatoes, or Ezekiel bread.
What’s the one thing you look forward to treating yourself to after a competition or photo shoot?
Hmmm…This has changed from competition to competition. Usually, I look forward to eating a big cheeseburger with sweet potato fries and Oreos.
Do you have a weekly ‘cheat meal?’
I usually have 1-2 cheat meals a week. Lately, my cheat meal has been lots of sushi every weekend.
What’s your most memorable photo shoot or the funniest thing that’s happened on a photo shoot?
My most memorable photo shoot was one I did with my younger sister Jocelyn. We were in Las Vegas shooting at a gym and in the desert with LHGFX. We did some fun shots together and both got great individual pictures as well. This shoot was my most memorable shoot to date because I was so happy and proud of my sister for working so hard every day to achieve her weight loss goal. Her confidence in front of the camera was intoxicating to watch. She made it look so effortless and easy as if she had been doing photo shoots for years. A total natural!
Do you have any special beauty secrets you’d like to share?
I melt coconut oil and combine it with sugar in the raw to create a homemade body scrub. It helps to exfoliate your skin, leaving your body feeling soft and smooth. It smells delicious too!
How do you feel your faith in God has kept you grounded in the fitness industry?
I feel that my faith in God has kept me grounded in the fitness industry by helping me to remain humble, it also keeps me positive, and helps me stay true to myself and my morals.
How long have you been attending church and what do you enjoy most about it?
I hadn’t been to church in years! For several months, my aunt and uncle kept inviting me to attend their non-denominational church with them. At the time, I was going through a rough personal time and felt that maybe going to church would help me to heal. I gave the church a try and immediately fell in love with it. It’s now been over three years since I first attended and I continue to go. I love the atmosphere, music, and message that is given every week.
What do you do to relax when you’re not working out?
When I’m not working out, I just LOVE to be home in my sweats watching sports, especially football. I also love to read and spend quality time with my family and friends.
Did you love this interview? Leave a comment below and share it with your friends. Thanks!