Meet IFBB Bikini Fitness Athlete Susanne Kleven. This young sparkling beauty has a huge appetite for success!
- Hometown: Oslo, Norway
- Current Location: Oslo, Norway
- Height: 5’6”- 172cm
- Weight: I actually don’t weigh myself, mainly because I know that I would be too obsessed with the numbers.
- Age: 22
- Favorite Lift: Shoulder press, I love to train shoulders, and squats, of course.
- Favorite Beauty Product: All the hair products from Sebastian; I love that collection.
For those unfamiliar with you, can you tell us a bit about your background and how you got involved in the fitness industry?
I have always been an active person. I started first with dancing when I was really young, but then handball caught my attention, and I played that for over 10 years. After I decided to quit playing handball, I had a year off from training and was just a so called ‘hobby trainer’ at the local gym. But I missed being active, and I felt I had to find a new hobby which became strength training and fitness. At first, it was strength training and lifting.
After a year of serious workouts, I felt I needed to have a goal to work towards; that’s how I got into fitness and competing. I’ve never regretted choosing to be a part of the fitness industry, after so many years it has become a lifestyle for me and not just a ‘hobby.’
What is your current occupation?
This summer I finished a bachelor degree in Marketing and Leadership, so now I have a full time job to increase my job experience regarding my education. Besides work, I concentrate on building a better physique for my future competitions. On the weekends, I make sure to spend some quality time with my family, friends and my better half.
Who are your current sponsors and how did you get connected to them?
Currently, I don’t have any sponsors. But it would be amazing to be sponsored by Gymshark, mainly because I’ve always loved their style and their clothes are so comfortable.
Tell us a little about how your bulk has been going.
Actually, I prefer not to bulk too hard, but I keep a shape a few pounds ‘over’ my on season weight. I’ve gained a little bit more than I planned to, so therefore I’m starting to shred a few weeks earlier than planned.
Mainly, I like to stay lean all year, but I try to gain a little bit now and then to improve my physique.
How will your training and diet evolve now that you are coming off a bulk?
I will train as normal, but add more HIIT cardio into my workouts to increase my metabolism. The diet will consist off the same food as offseason, but of course in smaller portions, and I will slowly cut down on the amount of carbs.
Susanne’s Full Routine
- Wide Grip Lat Pulldowns 4 x 8-12 (Drop Set)
- Close Grip Cable row 4 x 8-12 (Drop Set)
- Straight-arm Lat Pulldown 3 x 15 (Drop Set)
- One-arm Dumbbell Row 4 x 10-12
- Dumbbell Curls 3 x 10-12 (Drop Set)
- Incline Dumbbell Curls 3 x 10-12
- Cable Hammer Curls 3 x 12-15 (Drop Set)
- Squats 4 x 10-12 (Drop Set)
- Hack Squats 4 x 8-12 (Drop Set)
- Leg Extension 4 x 10-12 (Superset)
- Lunges 4 x 12
- Leg Press 3 x 12
- Cable Kickbacks 3 x 15
- Shoulder Press 4 x 8-12 (Drop Set)
- Side Lateral Raises 4 x 12-15 (Drop Set)
- Dumbbell Bent-Over Reverse Fly’s 4 x 15 (Drop Set)
- Dumbbell Front Raises 3 x 12 (Superset)
- Close Grip Upright Rows 3 x 12
- Reverse Peck Deck 3 x 15
- 20-30 Minutes Stairmaster, 30 Minutes Cycling (Intervals) or Sprint/Treadmill (Intervals)
- Hanging Knee Raises 4 x 15-20
- Side Hanging Knee Raises 4 x 15-20
- Ball Pike 3 x 10-12
- Kneeling Cable Crunches 3 x 15
- Dumbbell Side Bends 3 x 20
- Russian Twists 3 x 20
- Standing Cable Wood Chops 3 x 20
- Machine or Barbell Standing Calf Raises 5 x 15
- Seated Calf Raises 5 x 15-20
- Toe Press (Leg Press Machine) 4 x 10-12
To warm up my ab muscles and get a better connection, I always begin every abs workout with 5 minutes of crunches on a ball.
- Squats 5 x 6-12 (Drop Set)
- Straight Leg Deadlift 4 x 10-12 (Drop Set)
- Sumo Deadlifts 4 x 10-12
- Lying Leg Curls 4 x 15 (Drop Set)
- Reverse Hack Squats 3 x 10-12 (Superset)
- Air Squats 3 x 15-20
- Incline Dumbbell Chest Press 4 x 10-12 (Drop Set)
- Incline Dumbbell Fly’s 4 x 12 (Superset)
- Close Grip Push Ups 4 x Failure
- Cable Fly’s 3 x 15
- Dips 3 x Failure
- Rope Pushdowns4 x 10-12 (Drop Set)
- Overhead Extensions 4 x 12-15 (Superset)
- Kickbacks 4 x 10
What is your secret to your arm development?
When I first started strength training, I was obsessed with good definition and development of my shoulders and arms, and ever since then, I’ve trained my arms about twice a week. Concentration dumbbell curls have been a really good exercise to help me get the cut between my bicep and shoulder muscles. I also prefer to do high reps during my arm workouts.
You don’t have to go too heavy, but focus on getting the mind muscle connection and make sure to ‘squeeze’ on every rep.
What is your secret to your amazing glute development?
I always make sure to activate my glutes at the beginning of every leg/glute workout. I do different exercises with a band before I start with my main exercises.
Squats have definitely helped my glute development a lot. Lunges and cable kickbacks are also some of the exercises where I feel I get a good ‘pump’ in my glutes.
Susanne’s Typical Diet
- Meal 1: 1/3 Cup Oats and 30g Whey Protein
- Meal 2: 5 Ounces Chicken and 5 Ounces Vegetables/Greens
- Meal 3: 5 Ounces Chicken and ¼ Cup Rice
- Meal 4: 30g Whey Protein
- Meal 5: 7-9 Ounces Beef or Fish, 5 Ounces Sweet Potato and Vegetables
- Meal 6: 40g Casein Protein, or 1 Whole Egg and 6 Egg Whites
What’s one food you couldn’t live without?
Chicken and beef; I love them both! (Laughs)
Do you have an occasional cheat meal?
Oh yes, I love burgers! Especially the burgers from ‘Illegal Burger’ in Oslo, I usually take a triple burger there, or more. The most I have eaten there is a 32 ounce burger! (Laughs)
What supplements could we find in your kitchen?
- Whey Protein
- Fish Oil
Do you have any special beauty tips you’d like to share?
I always make sure to wash my face when I get up in the morning and before I go to bed. I start with hot water, cleansing milk and then I finish with cold water. I also make sure to drink enough water throughout the day.
What are your hobbies and interests outside of the fitness industry?
I love to travel and explore different countries. America is one of my favorites; I’ve already been there three times, but I would definitely go back. I also love Italy, France and Canada. I would love to visit Australia, Mexico and Thailand one day.
Is there anything else you’d like to tell us?
I’m a ‘little’ nerd, since I was little I loved to solve Sudoku; it’s kind of relaxing. (Laughs) So this is a thing I do during competition prep when I’m tired and need to get my mind on something else.
Did you love this interview? Leave a comment below and share it with your friends. Thanks!