Meet National Bikini Competitor, Emily Adams. Emily is fun loving, full of energy and has a rock solid body. In this interview, Emily shares training techniques she uses to blast her arms into new growth!
- Hometown: Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada
- Current Location: Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada
- Height: 5’6½”
- Weight: 140lbs
- Age: 30
- Favorite Lift: Deadlift
Websites and Social Media
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/EmilyAdamsBikiniCompetitorEm/
For those unfamiliar with you, can you tell us a bit about your background and how you got involved in the fitness industry?
Throughout my teens and into my adult years I have always been active. Whether it was dance, figure skating or kick boxing, I was always doing something active. In 2008, I started living with a girl friend of mine that competed in figure. I told her that I wanted to get into a bit better shape, and build some muscle. She taught me the proper way to eat to achieve my goals. I had always eaten healthy my entire life, but not with this type of structure.
I adopted this lifestyle long before I even considered competing; this was way before the Bikini Category had been introduced. After being completely immersed in the fitness industry for a few years, I decided to compete in my first Bikini Competition in 2010, and the rest is history!
How does your training and diet evolve as you get closer to a competition?
I try to maintain the intensity of my training throughout my entire contest prep. Doing a competition is about pushing and challenging myself! A week before, I may scale back a little bit, but I like to keep things consistent thought out the entire prep. The one thing that does change is my cardio. Leading up the show, I do a lot more cardio than I would normally do. I prefer to do 20 week contest preps, so that I can slowly reduce my calories, and get my body ‘stage ready.’ This has allowed me to keep a weekly cheat meal even up to 10 weeks out!
What’s the one thing you look forward to treating yourself to after a competition?
Usually the very first thing I want after I step off stage is water! (Laughs) And then after that, it’s on to the cheese cake! My favorite flavor hands down is peanut butter chocolate!
Who are your current sponsors and how did you get connected to them?
My current sponsors are the active wear company, Official Better Bodies and the supplement company, Mutant Nation, Mutant Squad. I was brought on with Official Better Bodies after being a part of Gym Star Apparel, who is the premium dealer for Official Better Bodies in Canada for a few years and making a name for myself with them. With Mutant Nation, I am a part of the Mutant Squad. I got connected to them through my boyfriend who works for the company. I am truly grateful to be involved with such incredible companies!
Tell us about some of the recent changes you’ve made to your training program and why?
Just recently, I have changed my training program to be more metabolic focused accompanied by a heavy leg day, and a strength day.
My goal for this new program is to really push my metabolism, and to develop more strength! I love to change my program up quite often to keep my training fun and exciting!
Emily’s Full Routine
Monday: Metabolic Conditioning
I do 3 x 3-4 different exercises performed for 3 rounds, followed by 60 seconds of:
- Jump Rope
- Jump Squats
- Step Ups
Anything to get my heart rate up and this varies week to week.
- Steady State Cardio 30 Minutes
Tuesday: Leg Day (Heavy)
- Leg Press (Increasing Weight each Set) 5 x 8-15
- Smith Machine Squats 4 x 8-10 (Superset)
- Lateral Lunges 4 x 12-15
- Hip Thrusts (Increasing Weight each Set) 5 x 8-15 (Superset)
- Front Lunges (each Leg) 4 x 10-12
- Bulgarian Split Squats (each Leg) 4 x 10-12 (Superset)
- Sumo Squats 4 x 12-15
Wednesday: Metabolic Conditioning
Same as Monday
Thursday: Strength Day/Cardio
- Dead Lifts 5 x 5
- Military Press 5 x 5
- Pull Ups 5 x 5
- HITT (Spin Bike or Step Mill) 20 Minutes
Friday: Glute/Plyo Focus
- Cable Kickbacks 4 x 15 (Superset)
- Cable Lateral Kicks 4 x 15
- Pop Squats Superset 4 x 15 (Superset)
- Weighted Jump Squats 4 x 15
- Banded Glute Bridges 4 x 15-20 (Superset)
- Heel Kick Jump Squats 4 x 15
- Smith Machine Squats (Feet Together) 4 x 15
- Lateral Walking Lunges (Hip Circle) 4 x 20
- Donkey Kicks 4 x 15
- HITT (Spin Bike or Step Mill) 20-30 Minutes
What’s your favorite exercise for arms and why?
My favorite exercise for biceps has to be lying cable curls. I love performing these with 3-4 drop sets! It burns ‘so good!’
My favorite exercise for triceps would be cable press downs with a straight bar. I like to perform 10 sets of 10 reps, randomly switching the weight around to shock the muscle. I am always sore after I do these exercises!
Do you have a favorite pair of shoes to train in and a separate pair for squatting?
I wear my Nike Frees for both training and squatting.
Emily’s Typical Diet
- Meal 1: (Protein Pancake) 5 Ounces Egg Whites, ½ Scoop Whey, ¼ Cup Oats, ½ Cup Unsweetened Almond Milk, 1 TSP Baking Soda, 2 TBSP Coconut Flour, 1 TBSP Cocoa Powder and 1 TBSP Stevia Topped with natural almond butter or peanut butter
- Meal 2: 9 Ounces 0% Lactose- Free Greek Yogurt and ½ Cup Berries
- Meal 3: (Pre Workout Meal) 1 Cup Rice, Yams, ¼ Cup Oats or 2 Slices Squirrly Bread, 3 ½ Ounces Turkey, Fish or 9 Ounces Egg Whites, 3 ½ – 7 Ounces Mixed Vegetables and ½ Ounce Coconut Oil or 1 Ounce Natural Nut Butter
- Meal 4: (Post Workout Meal) 1 Cup Rice, Yams, ¼ Cup Oats or 2 Slices Squirrly Bread, 3 ½ Ounces Turkey, Fish or 9 Ounces Egg Whites 3 ½ – 7 Ounces and Mixed Vegetables
- Meal 5: 9 Ounces Egg Whites or 1 ½ Ounces Whey and 1 Ounce Natural Nut Butter
I like to eat a variety of vegetables and if I am up later than usual, I will usually have another protein source.
What’s the one food you couldn’t live without?
Cocoa powder! (Laughs) I literally use it at least 3-4 times a day! In my pancakes, oatmeal, yogurt, and I will admit, I have even put in on my chicken!
What’s your favorite flavor of protein powder?
Mutants Pro 100 in Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream; it tastes so good, I feel like I’m cheating!
What supplements could we find in your kitchen?
- Mutant Pro 100 protein (All Flavors)
- Mutant BCAA’s
- Mutant Test
- Mutant Madness
- North Coast Naturals Daily Cleanse
Fashion or Sweats?
No matter the occasion I am ‘always’ in something Better Bodies!
What’s your favorite color of nail polish?
When I do wear nail polish, I always have gel nails on, and I ‘love’ the color the Berry Thought of You by OPI. I wore this color for years in my early 20’s!
What are your hobbies and interests outside of the fitness industry?
I wear many hats. Aside from personal training, contest prep coaching, and competing myself, I am also a go go Dancer, marketing student, and I have just recently started being an extra in films and television shows. I love to stay busy and try out new things!
Any final thoughts you’d like to share with us?
I want to leave you with this quote, “success isn’t about how much money you make, it’s about the difference you make in people’s lives <3.”
A special thank you to Lindsay Lee Orange, who made this interview possible.
Did you love this interview? Leave a comment below and share it with your friends. Thanks!