Did you know that glutamine is the primary amino acid found in your muscles? Supplementing with L-Glutamine has gotten a bad wrap and tends to be overlooked. But supplementing with L-Glutamine has some big benefits for bodybuilders and the general population.
When the body is under stress, or during bouts of intense exercise, glutamine levels can become severely depleted in the body.
How to take it
Usually 5 grams is recommended 2-3 times a day. L-Glutamine comes in pill and powder form.Be sure to check the label for proper dosing. For optimal benefits take it:
- Upon wake up
- After exercise
- Before bed
Beastly Benefits for Bodybuilders
- Beneficial for performance and recovery
- Protein metabolism
- Cell volumizing
- Assists in metabolizing body fat
- Increases the body’s ability to secrete HGH
- Supports new muscle growth/maintenance
How I take it
On rest days, I take 1 scoop (5 grams) in my morning shake and 1 scoop (5 grams) in my p.m. shake before bed. I am currently using G by Magnum.
On training days, I don’t use G because my intra workout, Hi-5 by Magnum contains L-Glutamine.
If your pre workout/intra workout contains L-Glutamine for optimal benefits, be sure to supplement with L-Glutamine on your non training days too.
Beastly Benefits for General Population
- Supports immune system
- Assists in healing and recovery
- Aids in cellular repair and hydration
- Can speed up healing in wound and burn patients
- Provides overall intestinal support
- Repair/restore a leaky gut
- Has been shown to cure ulcers
- Can assist AIDS and cancer patients and other muscle-wasting/immune related illnesses
L-Glutamine supplementation may also help with:
- Inflammation in the lining of the mouth
- Sore throats
- Tingling in the extremities
My dad was recently hospitalized and while doing research for this article, I was quite surprised about all of the benefits that L-Glutamine supplementation can provide. Needless to say, now that he is home, I have him on it too!
How he takes it
Dad is taking 1 scoop (5 grams) in his morning yogurt. For a bedtime snack he puts 1 scoop (5 grams) on a cold bowl of cereal.
Dad and I prefer the powder form. G by Magnum mixes great in my protein shakes. And Dad doesn’t seem to mind it stirred in his yogurt or in his cereal. Be sure to use it in cold foods or beverages. Heat will cause it to lose its potency.
Editor’s Note: I am a brand ambassador for Magnum because I love their products and take them daily!
I hope you found this article helpful. If you did, please share it or comment below. Thanks!