Recently, thumbing through an old issue of a men’s health magazine, an article caught my attention. And if you’re a bodybuilder an athlete or anyone who takes their meal planning seriously, this is a must read before your next meal prep.
Although brown rice is considered a healthy slow digesting grain, you may want to reconsider and make the switch to white rice. Far too often brown rice can contain carcinogenic metals including arsenic and cadmium. Consuming toxic metals over time can lead to neurological, liver, and kidney disorders, and a number of other health issues including an increased risk of cancer.
Depending on the region the rice is grown can determine just how toxic it is. A study in Asia found that 12 out of 13 rice crops sampled had unsafe levels of cadmium. In the United States brown rice has been shown to contain arsenic although the levels are considered relatively low by FDA standards, why risk it?
White rice is less toxic and a safer option because the hull germ and bran have been removed.
- Make the switch to white rice.
- Consider consuming white rice earlier in the day or have it with your post workout meal.
- When planning your meals, incorporate a wide variety of slow digesting carbs throughout the week.
- Choose white instant rice over parboiled. Parboiled comes with its bran intact.
- Organic White Basmati Trader Joe’s
- Archer Farms Basmati Target
- Basmati from India, Nepal or Pakistan Ethnic and your local health food stores
- Boil rice like you would pasta.
- Use 1 part rice to 6 parts water.
- Cook stove top for 30 minutes.
- Drain excess water.
- Cover for 10 minutes.
Will you be making the switch? Let me know in the comment section below.
Don’t forget to share this with your friends on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Tumbler. Thanks!