My mom enjoys cooking, but as she says, “it always tastes better when someone else does the cooking for you.” This year I’m going to treat her to her favorite cake; I thought I’d share the recipe with you. I am sure it will be a hit with your mom too!
Bake: 1 hour
Yields: 16 slices
- 3 egg whites cage-free
- 2 whole eggs cage-free
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup crystallized ginger chopped
- 4 cups carrots shredded
- Zest of 1 whole lemon organic
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
Preheat oven: 350 degrees
- Line a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Grease the sides of the pan with olive oil; dust with flour. This will prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl beat eggs and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat in olive oil and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, combine flour baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon.
- Add egg mixture.
- Combine thoroughly.
- Add the ginger, carrots and lemon zest.
- Stir gently.
- Pour mixture into cake pan.
- Bake time: approximately 1 hour.
- Check on cake before 1 hour bake time is up.
- Insert toothpick into center of cake.
- If toothpick comes out clean, cake is done.
Beastly Recipe Notes
- For extra sweetness, ice cake with frosting.
- Spread icing after cake has cooled.
Editor’s note: Treat your Mom to a sweet treat this Mother’s Day, by baking her something she’s sure to love. If you bake this for your Mom, let me know how she likes it. Leave a comment below.
Don’t forget to share this with your friends on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Tumbler. Thanks!