Is it getting colder out or is it just me? Stay warm with this tasty low calorie soup, on a cold winter’s day. This low calorie soup makes a perfect side dish. Make up a big batch of this soup and you’ll have plenty left over to reheat throughout the week.
Makes 16 cups
Nutritional information per serving
7 grams of protein
18 grams of carbohydrates
1 gram of fat
- 1 ¼ cup mixed dried beans (black, kidney, navy and Romano)
- ¼ cup lentils
- ¼ cup split peas
- ¼ cup barley
- 2 small organic onions (chopped)
- 3 large organic carrots (chopped)
- 10 cups homemade chicken broth
- 3 cups plum tomatoes (stewed)
- ¼ tsp dried thyme leaves (crumbled)
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 organic sweet red bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 3 organic garlic cloves (roasted)
- ½ cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- Water (see step 2)
- Place dried beans in a large saucepan.
- Cover with a generous amount of water.
- Leave the lid off and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
- Remove from heat and place lid on saucepan.
- Let it sit for one hour.
- In a large saute’ pan, add onion, celery and carrots.
- Add broth, tomatoes plus their juice, seasonings, beans and lentils, split peas and barely.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook and stir occasionally until beans and vegetables are tender. Approximately 2 hours.
- Add chopped bell pepper and roasted garlic.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add chopped parsley and serve hot.
Beastly Recipe Notes
Want to reheat it? One of my favorite methods is to use the crock pot for reheating. Don’t forget to add more of your favorite herbs and spices.
Don’t forget to share this with your friends on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter and Tumbler. Thanks!
Subscribe to Nutrition Beast. You will receive the latest articles, recipes and fitness information as it’s released! You will not receive any unwanted emails.