At first when I went lactose and gluten free, I felt overwhelmed and my options seemed limited. One of my biggest dilemmas at the time was finding a protein powder that was tasty. A lot of the plant based or egg white protein powders that I have tried are less than desirable to say the least.
Once you find a good protein powder, the rest is easy. For today’s protein shake, I’m using NutriBiotic’s Raw Organic Chocolate Rice Protein. I always keep several of my favorite protein powders on hand in the kitchen, and I rotate them depending on what I am making. I use protein powders in my shakes and for baking.
For today’s recipe you’ll need:
- 1-2 tablespoons organic gluten free peanut butter or almond butter
8 ounces of almond or rice milk
- 1-2 Tablespoons of your favorite chocolate rice or plant based protein powder
- 1 ounce of Enjoy life chocolate chips
- Ice cubes or a frozen banana *optional
- Mix 8 ounces of milk with 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite protein powder.
- Blend thoroughly and freeze it for 20 minutes.
Here, I’m adding 1 tablespoon of gluten free organic almond butter. I toss it back in the blender; this gives the protein shake a milkshake consistency.
I pour the milkshake back in the shaker cup and stir in 1 ounce of dark chocolate chips.
- For a creamier milkshake, I use ice cubes made from rice milk.
This is my healthy version of a Peanut Butter Blizzard with chocolate chips. Try it and let me know what you think. Please leave a comment in the section below.