1 in 12 people in the United States alone have an autoimmune disease. Chrons disease, lupus, and multiple sclerosis are just a few of the many auto-immune illnesses. Are you one of them? If not, chances are you know someone who does suffer from one of these conditions.
Building muscle can be a tough challenge with an autoimmune disorder. But did you know it is still possible? This article will teach you how to make your nutrition and supplementation plan work for you.
Clean Eating Is Not Enough
First you must change the way you think in regards to both your nutrition and supplementation.
Are you eating clean already? You may still have to alter your muscle building diet. But I guarantee if you give it some time you will see positive results.
Some of those clean foods can promote chronic inflammation in people with an autoimmune disorder. This does not mean you are allergic to the food but the food itself promotes inflammation in an already inflamed body.
Avoid These Foods
One of the biggest challenges you may have is giving up your whey or casein (both are derived from milk)/
- Labels can be ‘sneaky’ so read carefully
- Switch to an egg protein or a plant based protein powder
- Replace wheat with rice, millet, flax, barley or kasha
- Most local grocery stores and health food stores carry wheat/gluten free bread in the freezer section
Individuals with an autoimmune disease are prone to malabsorption of nutrients. The body can’t absorb sufficient amounts. They must be obtained through other sources.
Add the Following
- B-12 and folic acid
- Vitamin C and D support the immune system
- Fish oil is known for its anti-inflammatory properties
- L-Glutamine aids in muscle repair and recovery, it supports the immune system and aids the digestive system
- Drink greens to get extra nutrients
- Probiotics aid your digestive system
What About Flare Ups?
During a flare up it is critical that you continue to get quality calories in you. A flare up puts your body in crisis mode. If you are unable to eat solids, try eating baby food.
Baby food is full of nutrients and easier to assimilate. You can get your fruits and veggies, plus proteins and oatmeal too. They are all pureed, easily assimilated and digested. Earth’s Best Organic is one of the cleanest on the market.
How Long Until I See Results?
Just like muscle building you have to stick with it to see results. At first, it can be hard making these changes. But if it helps you reach your goals in the long run, isn’t it worth it?
I GUARANTEE if you stick with it for 3-6 months you will see and feel positive results!